Butternut Squash Soup with Thyme Butter
- 1 TBS vegetable oil
- 1 tsp Durkee® ground ginger
- ¼ tsp Durkee® cayenne pepper
- 3 lbs. (about 7 cups) butternut squash, peeled, cored and coarsely chopped
- 2 medium cooking apples. Peeled cored and chopped
- 4 oz. onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 quart chicken stock
- Combine oil Durkee® ground ginger and Durkee® cayenne pepper in a large bowl.
- Add squash, apples and onions; toss to coat
- Transfer to a sheet pan
- Roast vegetables in a 425 degree oven for 35 to 45 minutes or until tender.
- remove from oven
- Working in batches, combine squash mixture and part of the chicken broth in blender or food processor; blend until smooth.
- Transfer pureed mixture to a large saucepan.
- Stir in any remaining chicken broth. (Recipe can be made ahead to this point; cover and refrigerate up to 2 days).
- Bring soup to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes.
Thyme Butter Ingredients
- 1 lb softened butter
- 2 ½ tsp. Durkee® leaf thyme
- 4 tsp Durkee® garlic powder
Thyme Butter Instructions:
- Combine butter, Durkee® Leaf Thyme and Durkee® Garlic Powder until well blended.
- Spoon onto plastic wrap and roll into four 6-inch logs; wrap tightly and refrigerate until firm.
- To serve, cut Thyme Butter into thin slices.
- Ladle hot soup into individual bowls; top each with a slice of butter.
- Remaining butter can also be used with seafood or grilled vegetables.
Top of Page
Back to Soup Recipes