Cantaloupe and Rum Soup
- 1 ripe medium cantaloupe
- ¼ pound butter or oleo
- 1/8 tsp. Durkee Clove
- 1/8 tsp. Durkee nutmeg
- ¼ tsp. Durkee Coriander
- no more than 1/8 tsp. Salt
- 1 cup white sugar (more or less to taste)
- 2 quarts half and half (you could also use sour cream)
- juice of ½ lime
- mint leaves for garnish (optional)
- 1/3 cup rum (use rum extract if you prefer)
Cut, dice and peel cantaloupe.
- Cook cantaloupe in saucepan until very soft.
- Drain and mash cantaloupe
- Add butter and spices.
- Add about ½ of cream
- Mix with electric beater or blender until finely pureed or the texture you prefer.
- Add lime juice very slowly while blending.
- Put in large container and add remaining cream.
- Chill for several hours in refrigerator
- Just before serving add rum and mix well
- Garnish with mint if desired (you can also slice very thin slices of cantaloupe and fan them out on the top of the soup as a garnish).
Top of Page
Back to Soup Recipes