- 1 packet dry yeast
- 2 tsp. White sugar
- 1/8 tsp. Saffron (optional)
- 1 ¼ cup tepid water
- 4 ½ cups all purpose flour - sifted
- 2 tsps. Kosher salt
- 2 whole eggs
- 2 TBS Canola Oil
- 1 egg yolk beaten together with ½ tsp. Water
- 5 TBS. Sesame seeds (you can skip the seeds or replace with Poppy Seeds)
- Gently mix first three ingredients with ¼ cup of water and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Sift flour and salt together in large mixing bowl.
- Make an indentation in the center of the flour mixture and add eggs, oil, remaining water and the years mixture that had been set aside.
- Mix with your hands and then out dough onto floured board and knead it well.
- Cover with damp towel and place in warm (not hot) spot for about an hour to rise.
- Knock the dough down and set it aside again to re-rise. The dough will about double in size.
- Shape into a rounded loaf.
- Cover again and let rise until double.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Brush with the beaten egg/water mixture and sprinkle with seeds
- Bake for 45 minutes in a 375 oven.
Top of Page
Back to Holiday & Seasonal Recipes
Back to Jews in Cleveland
Back to Rosh Hashanah Recipes