Ingredients for the Cake:
- 1 ½ cups of toasted almonds
- 6 oz. semi-sweet chocolate bits
- 6 large eggs - separated whites from yolks
- 6 oz. unsalted butter
- ¾ cup granulated white sugar
- 1tsp. Lemon juice.
Ingredients for Icing:
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 2 tsp. Coffee Powder
- 8 oz. semi-sweet chocolate bits
- Pre-heat oven to 375-F degrees.
- Spray the bottom of a 9-inch spring form pan with a non-flavored non-stick cooking spray.
- Dust lightly with flour.
- Shake out any excess and set prepared pan aside.
- Melt chopped chocolate in the microwave - stirring often.
- Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Place ¼ cup of sugar together with the almonds into a blender and chop until the almonds are a fine powder
- In a separate bowl beat the butter until it is soft and add ¼ cup of sugar.
- beat sugar and butter together, add egg yolks and beat until smooth.
- Add the melted chocolate and mix gently until combined.
- Add almonds and combine well.
- In a separate bowl beat the egg whites with salt and lemon juice until the whites hold a soft shape.
- Add the remaining ¼ cup of sugar and beat on high until the egg whites peak, softly.
- Very gently and slowly fold the egg white mixture into the chocolate mixture until blended.
- pour the cake batter into the prepared pan
- Bake for 20 minutes then reduce heat to 350 degrees and cook for another 50 minutes.
- Let cake cool for approximately 1 hour before removing from pan.
- For the icing, scald the cream in a saucepan until a thin skin forms on the top.
- Add the coffee powder and mix in to the cream, dissolving the coffee.
- Add the chocolate and continue to mix until the chocolate is also dissolved.
- remove from heat and allow the icing to cool for about 15 minutes.
- Starting at the center, pour the icing over the top of the cake.
- Allow the icing to dribble over the side of the cake.
- If you choose, shave chocolate over the top before serving.
Top of Page
Back to Desserts & Sweets