Karie's Crab Soup
- One medium onion, chopped
- 2 TBS. salted butter. DO NOT USE MARGARINE.
- 1 ½ TBS white flour
- 16 ounces chicken broth/stock (If you prefer fish stock or veg. Stock then substitute 8 ounces for the other)
- 2 cups milk. Don't use skim milk, it doesn't thicken well.
- backfin/fancy/lump crabmeat (backfin and lump work best)
- 4 dashes each old bay seasoning, celery salt
- 3 dashes salt
- pepper to taste
- 2 TBS. sherry/white wine
- chopped chives
- 1 minced garlic clove
- Slowly melt butter in soup pan on med heat. High heat will burn/brown butter. Results are not good.
- When butter has completely melted add flour and stir into paste.
- Slowly add stock 4 ounces at a time. With each ounce added cook until thickened.
- Wisk every few minutes while cooking.
- Turn heat up to med/high heat
- When soup hits a hard boil turn heat back down and keep at a slow simmer
- Add 2 tablespoons sherry/wine
- Add minced garlic
- Add 3 dashed salt
- Add 4 dashes of each seasoning but pepper
- Begin adding milk ½ cup at a time - reserve ½ cup.
- Slowly simmer until thickened each time before adding last cup of milk
- Before adding last ½ cup milk add all chopped onion. (You don't want to put them in sooner or you'll lose the fresh flavor and the onions will be too soft)
- Add last of the milk stir until thickened to desired consistency
- Strain crab meat completely
- Remove soup from heat and add crab meat and chives
- Let sit for 5-10 minutes, serve and enjoy!
Recipe of Karie-Lynn Goryl
Top of Page
Back to Soup Recipes