- 1 fresh or completely thawed 10-12 lb. goose
- 1 cp orange juice
- ¼ cup honey (more or less to taste)
- 3 TBS. Chopped onion
- 3 Tbs. Melted butter
- 4 cups of potatoes parboiled, peeled and diced
- ½ cup sausage
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 TBS browned butter
- Marjoram (to rub)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Clean goose inside and out, removing any patches of fat (which can be rendered and reserved).
- Rub inside with salt and a little marjoram.
- Rub outside with salt.
- Sauté onions in butter.
- Add potatoes and sausage.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Mix well and stuff goose - do not pack too firmly.
- Fill a large roasting pan with water, only to the height of the rack you will be using in it.
- Using a fork prick holes in the goose and place, breast down on a rack in a covered roasting pan
- Baste continuously with orange juice, honey and browned butter.
- After 1 hour turn goose over and add additional holes with your fork.
- Remove cover and continue to cook
- Skim off excess fat/grease as you go.
- Allow 20 minutes per pound for cooking.
- 15 minutes before goose is done raise the temperature to 450 degrees to crisp the skin
Top of Page
Back to Christmas Recipes