October is National Fire Prevention Month and Mr. Electric® is teaming-up with FireX® brand smoke and carbon monoxide (CO) alarms to help raise awareness about fire and CO safety.
More than 100 million smoke alarms in the United States are ten or more years old. The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) recommends replacing alarms (not just batteries, but the entire alarm) every ten years.
NFPA reports 85% of all fire deaths occur in the home. If every home had working smoke alarms, home fire deaths could drop an estimated 36%, saving over 1,100 lives a year. And what makes sense can cost cents: replacing or updating old smoke and CO alarms can be done for pennies a day.
“Making sure all homes have strategically-placed and working smoke and CO alarms is vital to help ensure home and family safety,” said Mr. Electric president Jeff Meyers. “Calling a licensed electrician to handle this job can give homeowners peace of mind while saving time, money and frustration.”
The NFPA also reports that from 1999-2003, electrical distribution and lighting equipment were involved in an estimated 19,000 home structure fires per year. These fires resulted in hundreds of deaths and over $300 million in property damage.
Fixed wiring, switches, receptacles and outlets accounted for 45% of fires, deaths and injuries, while extension cord fires outnumbered fires beginning with attached power cords by more than two-to-one.
To help protect your family and home, remember a few simple safety tips:
- Call a licensed electrician to ensure your smoke and CO alarms are properly placed and up to current code
- Test your smoke and CO alarms once a month as per manufacturer’s instructions
- Change your smoke and CO alarm batteries twice a year (coordinate with “spring forward, fall back” time changes)
- Don’t disable your smoke and CO alarms, even temporarily
- Regularly vacuum (as per manufacturer’s instructions) your smoke and CO alarms
- Plan and hold regular family fire and CO drills
- Replace loose or frayed cords on all electrical devices
- Avoid overloading outlets by using surge protectors
- Plug only one high-wattage appliance into a receptacle at a time
- If outlets or switches feel warm, shut off the circuit and have them checked by a licensed electrician
Don't miss these other Home Fire Prevention Tips from the Northern Ohio Fire Fighters.
Top of Page
Back to Home Safety