Here's a recipe for Mom's Potato Latkes (That Always Turn Blue).
Yes... The starch in the potatoes turns the potato blue when it hits the air.... Just watch. We used to tease my mother all the time! They still tasted amazing!
Joan Wieder from her daughter, Deb Singer
- 6 med potatoes
- 2 T flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 med onion
- Peel potatoes - keep in water until ready to shred (probably should add some lemon juice, but not in mom's recipe!)
- Shred potatoes in food processor
- Push through strainer to drain
- Squeeze even more liquid out with hands
- Put in a tea towel (who owns this?) to drain more
- Put back in food processor to grate
- Put in bowl
- Put onion, eggs and seasonings in food processor and grate together.
- Add flour and baking powder
- Drop by spoonfuls on to HOT pan with oil and fry
- Keep mixing each time you take a spoonful as you need all the egg in the liquid.
- They take a long time to fry - dry on paper towel and keep warm in oven.
- Serves 3-4 people
There must be a thousand people who could tell me why the latkes always turn blue!