Fabulous Food Show recipes
by Cheesemonger Liz Lepore
Cheesemonger Liz promised the large audiences at her demonstrations at the Fabulous Food Show that she would share her recipes with them.
Here they are - enjoy!
Classic Spinach and Artichoke Dip
¼ cup fresh shallots, minced
- 1 10 oz package chopped frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 8 oz can quartered artichoke hearts, drained
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 oz garlic and herb cheese
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- In a large frying pan, sauté shallots and garlic in butter over medium heat.
- Add well-drained spinach and artichokes and cook on low heat briefly.
- Add cream, garlic herb cheese, salt, and pepper.
- Simmer until cheese is melted, and mixture is blended.
- Remove from heat, and fold in the grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese.
- Place in a heatproof crock pot or ramekin.
- Serve warm with the Parmigiano-Reggiano Puff Pastry Cheese Twists, tortilla chips, pita chips, or your favorite Giant Eagle cracker.
- May be made ahead of time and gently reheated.
Parmigiano-Reggiano Puff Pastry Cheese Twists
- 2 sheets puff pastry
- 1 egg
- ½ cup water or milk
- 2 cups freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- On a cutting board, lay both sheets of puff pastry flat.
- Mix egg and milk together to create an egg wash.
- Lightly brush the sheets with the egg wash and sprinkle ½ (1 cup) of the Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese over the puff pastry sheets.
- Press cheese into puff pastry so it sticks.
- Flip sheets over and repeat process, using egg wash and sprinkling the remaining 1 cup of cheese over the sheets.
- Cut pastry into strips 1 inch in width and twist.
- Place on a greased pan with twice the amount of space between them.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes, or until risen and golden brown.
- Serve with Classic Spinach and Artichoke Dip or your other favorite dips.
Sweet Sugar-Crusted Pepper Bacon
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup almond, pecan, or walnut meal (ground almonds, pecans, or walnuts)
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 12 slices of thick cut pepper bacon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine all ingredients but bacon in a wide shallow dish.
- Dip and press each slice of bacon in sugar mixture on both sides.
- Lay bacon strips on a large, rimmed baking sheet.
- Sprinkle additional sugar mixture over the bacon slices in the pan.
- Roast the bacon until the fat begins to render, about 6 minutes.
- Rotate the pan front-to-back and continue roasting until the bacon is crisp and brown, about another 6 to 8 minutes.
- Remove, cool, and break or cut bacon into bite-sized pieces.
- Serve warm or cool with cheeses, or on top of the Bold Buttermilk Blue Cheese Dip.
Bold Buttermilk Blue Cheese Dip
- 8 oz (1 cup) mayonnaise
- 4 oz (1/2 cup) sour cream
- 6-8 oz (about ½ pound) Buttermilk Blue Cheese, crumbled
- 1-2 Tablespoons freshly chopped chives
- A dash or two of green Tabasco sauce to taste
- Mix all ingredients together, season to taste.
- Place in a small bowl to chill.
- Flavor will improve if the dip is left for at least two hours before serving.
- Serve in a small serving bowl, with Sweet Sugar-Crusted Pepper Bacon pieces on top.
- For more sophisticated serving, serve dip mixture in puff pastry shells, with a piece of the Sweet Sugar-Crusted Pepper Bacon on top.
Liz, Giant Eagle Cheesemonger, Legacy Village
See photos of Paula Deen, Michael Symon, Guy Fieri
and Cleveland Women at the Fabulous Food Show 2008
Have a question for our Expert Cheesemongers?
Send it to:
Top of Page
Back to Cheese, Cheese & More Cheese!