Unique Valentine's Day Ideas
from HGTV's Libby Langdon
Entertaining & Party Ideas:
Saturday Brunch "Mixer" with Single gal pals
Each gal is required to bring a single, straight guy that she thinks is great (in a "non-romance" kind of way)
- Fun homemade Valentines for invites
- Mimosas with blood orange juice to get the conversation "flowing"
- Easy cheese/spinach strata, fresh fruit, biscuits and chocolate dipped strawberries
- Play charades to get people interacting with each other (not to mention laughing pretty hard too!)
Romantic Dinner for two
- Set a small table near the fire, in front of a window, or in the bedroom
- Use a tablecloth, good silver, fine china and crystal
- Use only candlelight, play soft romantic music anything from Beethoven to Barry White
- Start with finger food, use your hands – roasted red pepper/goat cheese crostini
- Serve multiple courses yet simple food – artichokes in lemon vinaigrette
- Main course can be prepared ahead of time and popped in the oven for low maintenance – Ricotta, rosemary & olive Stuffed chicken
- Warm individual chocolate cakes and champagne for dessert
- Music: Diana Krall, The Brazil Project, Marvin Gaye, John Coltrane, Jimmy Scott, Cole Porter
Outdoor Ice Skating Lunch for Friends and Family
- Use a fire pit to not only cook but to keep everyone warm, set up portable chairs around it
- Bring thermoses of tomato soup, giant chocolate chip cookies, Hot tea/ Hot chocolate and roast hot dogs and marshmallows over the fire
- Bring extra mittens, socks and blankets for when little ones get wet and cold
- Put name tags on mugs for refills of hot tea/hot chocolate
Valentine's Cocktail Party –"Must Wear Pink to Drink"
- Send fun invitation "Must wear Pink to Drink!"
- Make fun cocktails: martinis with pomegranate seeds, vodka and pink lemonade, champagne and blood orange juice, pomegranate margarita's
- Food can be as simple or as complex as you like:
- Simple - order in trays of sushi and arrange on platters to serve
- Complex – make caviar pie, lobster butter, foie gras
- Make small goodie bags for guests with valentine chocolates and candies, include a homemade CD "Love" songs – make a compilation of all the songs you "Love"
- Decorate with lots of pink carnations, roses, lilies and orchids
"Current Attraction" – A Comfort food dinner and a romantic movie
- Salad, Quattro formaggi baked pasta and chocolate napoleons
- Light only candles in living room, set out wine and glasses
- Set trays with good placemats, napkins and silver for eating in front of the TV
- Have soft blankets to snuggle under after you've finished dinner while you watch the rest of the movie
- Romantic Movie Choices: Out of Africa, Sabrina, The Piano, Babette's Feast, Annie Hall, Doctor Zhivago, Casablanca, Desk Set, High Society, Breakfast at Tiffany's
Valentine's Single Girls Spa Night:
- Invite all your single girlfriends over for a spa night at your place!
- Hire a manicurist and a masseuse to come to your home, and if you're low on cash check out your local beauty school- there's sure to be some good students that would love the experience and the chance to get some new clients.
- Ask your guests to each bring a comfy robe, slippers and wine or champagne.
- You provide some simple appetizers and great ambiance; make sure to have super music playing and lots of scented candles.
- Your guests will leave feeling pampered and pleased and wondering if they really need a guy anyway!
Libby Langdon is an interior designer and expert commentator on HGTV's hit show "Small Space, Big Style." She assesses the design tactics used in the featured home and offers insights, techniques and tips to help viewers make the most of their own small space.
Previously, Libby hosted and was the lead designer on the FOX makeover TV show, "Design Invasion."
Top of Page
Back to Holidays