Valentine's Day Crafts, Cards and Food
from HGTV's Libby Langdon
- Make valentine boxes with doilies/craft paper and fill with homemade chocolates or fudge
- Make edible valentines – make cookies, ice them and then write your sweet nothings on them. Put each one in a glassine envelope and seal with a heart shape sticker. These are for hand delivery only!
- Make a pink carnation heart shaped wreath using dampened florist foam and hang on your door with pink double-faced satin ribbon – it will last at least 1 week
- Make transparent hearts to hang and liven up your windows in February – melt pink, red and coral crayons onto wax paper with an iron, cut out hearts and hang in window
- Wrap small gifts (tickets, jewelry, etc.) in homemade paper hearts and ribbon
- Glue silk rose petals to a yogurt container, overlapping them as you go- fill with tiny sweetheart rose arrangement and give it to an elderly friend who may not have a sweetheart
- Write a romantic poem on tinted vellum and wrap a romantic gift in that
- Write romantic words on small paper disks and place beneath chocolates in a box
- Red cranberry "cider" – warm cranberry juice with mulled spices and orange (The dark rum is up to you!)
- Pancakes in the shape of hearts – it's easy to pour the batter into that shape
- Use varying sizes of heart shaped cookie cutters to cut out pie crust dough and top a berry pie with tons of hearts and bake!
- Make heart shaped scones and invite a lonely friend over for tea
- Make heart shaped chocolate wafer cookies and fill two cookies with ice cream for a valentine's day ice cream sandwich – wrap in wax paper, wrap in a bow a serve after dinner
- Make easy yet impressive chocolate turnovers, with store bought puff pastry and good quality chocolate
- Garnish party trays and serving platters with cherries and pomegranate seeds
Menu Ideas – Low Maintenance to Luxe!
Low – Artichoke dip, pork roast, lemon rice, quick zucchini sauté, foolproof fudge and ice cream
Luxe - tomato/basil soup with garlic toasts, leg of lamb, risotto w/ peas, quick sauté of zucchini, chocolate profiteroles with ginger ice cream
Low – Hummus, roast garlic/lemon chicken, roasted butternut squash, green beans almandine
Luxe - yellow pepper soup, Short ribs ragout with parpadelle, shaved asparagus with pecorino, Chocolate mousse
Low – Mixed salad, grilled salmon over spaghetti squash, baked apples with store bought ice cream
Luxe - pear, stilton and endive salad w/ walnut vinaigrette, Steak au poivre, sautéed lemon spinach, chocolate fondue
Libby Langdon is an interior designer and expert commentator on HGTV's hit show "Small Space, Big Style." She assesses the design tactics used in the featured home and offers insights, techniques and tips to help viewers make the most of their own small space.
Previously, Libby hosted and was the lead designer on the FOX makeover TV show, "Design Invasion."
Top of Page
Back to Holidays