Pepper and Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms recipeIngredients:
- 24 large fresh mushrooms, 1-1/2 to 2 inches in diameter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped red sweet pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped green and/or yellow sweet pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons dry white wine
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup finely shredded smoked Edam or smoked Gouda cheese (2 ounces)
- 1/3 cup fine dry bread crumbs
Wash and drain mushrooms. Remove stems. Chop enough stems to make 1 cup; set
- Lightly brush top of mushroom caps with about 1 tablespoon of the olive oil.
- Place mushrooms, cavity side up, on a shallow baking pan; set aside.
- In a skillet cook chopped stems, onion, red sweet pepper, green pepper, and garlic in the remaining olive oil over medium high heat until tender (3-4 minutes). Stir often.
- Add white wine, salt, and pepper.
- Cook another minute or so until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in cheese and bread crumbs. Spoon cheese mixture into mushroom caps.
and refrigerate for at least two hours.
Bake, uncovered, in a 400 degree oven until mushrooms are tender and filling is hot. This will probably take 15 minutes or so.
Want to win a Goodie Bag of Spices? E-mail us with your favorite recipe or kitchen tip and you may win a big bag of spices for your kitchen!
Top of Page
Back to Recipes