- Each state has at least one library that offers Talking Books programs and large print publications. Ask if there is an Outreach Librarian in your area to serve patrons with special needs. Magnifers & More can assist you with this.
- Many banks offer large print checks, but you must ask for them.
- There may be low vision support groups in your area. Magnifers & More has a list of local support group meetings.
- Your local utility company may be able to provide discounted directory assistance and large type billing. Free 411 service is available.
- The Department of Motor Vehicles can give you information about restricted licenses and handicapped parking permits.
- Many public transit systems offer discounts or free service for the visually impaired.
- "Meals on Wheels" offers home-delivered meals, for the visually impaired.
- The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) provides some tax exemptions for the legally blind. You must obtain a certificate of legal blindness from your doctor.
- Reader's Digest is available in large print. The New York Times Weekly and Insight Monthly are two national newspapers available in large print.
Deborah Kogler is a licensed optician and owner of Magnifiers & More. For more information or any questions, please feel free to call 440-946-3363.