Think you're a good, law-abiding citizen? Well, think again. There's a very good chance you're breaking at least one Ohio law without even knowing it.
Here's a look at some actual current laws still on Ohio's books.
- It is illegal to sell beer while wearing a Santa Claus suit, even if you are a dog.
- One must have a license to keep a bear.
- Women are prohibited from wearing patent leather shoes in public.
- It is illegal to fish for whales on Sunday.
It is illegal to get a fish drunk.
- You must honk the horn whenever you pass another car. (it's in the manual)
- Participating or conducting a duel is prohibited.
- No one may be arrested on Sunday or on the Fourth of July.
- It is illegal to mistreat anything of great importance.
- Owners of tigers must notify authorities within one hour if the tiger escapes.
- If you ignore an orator on Decoration Day to such an extent as to publicly play croquet or pitch horseshoes within one mile of the speaker's stand, you can be fined $25.00.
- It is illegal for more than five women to live in a house.
- It is against the law to set a fire under your mule if it balks.
Only In Cleveland:
In Oxford, Ohio
- It is illegal to capture mice without a hunting license.
- It is unlawful to leave chewing gum in public places
It's illegal for a woman to strip off her clothing while standing in front of a man's picture.
In Columbus, Ohio
It is illegal to sell cornflakes on Sunday
Bay Village, Ohio
It is illegal to walk a cow down Lake Road.
Slot machines may not be installed (or used) in outhouses.
Clinton County, Ohio
Any person who leans against a public building will be subject to fines.
Fairview Park, Ohio
It's against the law to honk your horn "excessively".
Items left on a tree lawn become city property.
Cross-dressing is against the law.
Any map that does not have Lima clearly stated on the map cannot be sold.
It is unlawful to run a horse over five miles per hour.
You cannot eat a doughnut and walk backwards on a city street.
North Canton, Ohio
It is against the law to roller skate without notifying the police.
Your goose may not paraded down Main Street.
A policeman may bite a dog to quiet him.
Throwing a snake at anyone is illegal.
Catch 22 is banned.
Riding on the roof of a taxicab is not allowed.
You may not run out of gas.
Think we've got it bad? At least we don't live in Oklahoma where violators can be fined, arrested or jailed for making ugly faces at a dog and females are forbidden from doing their own hair without being licensed by the state.
Or even in Pennsylvania where a special cleaning ordinance bans housewives from hiding dirt and dust under a rug in a dwelling. and no man may purchase alcohol without written consent from his wife!