- Arrange furniture so that you will not trip on it.
- Get rid of throw rugs, and move electrical cords out of the way.
- Be sure you have good lighting where you are walking.
- Put grab bars in showers and bathtubs.
- Outside of your home, avoid icy or snowy sidewalks.
- Wear shoes with sturdy, flat soles.
- Get your eyes checked.
- Avoid too much alcohol.
- Exercise to help keep your strength and balance.
- Take medicines only as directed and periodically review your medicines with your primary care doctor, especially if you have more than one doctor. Some medicines, such as sleeping pills or pain relievers, can increase your risk of falling
Hip Fracture Information
Reprinted with Permission. Last Revised: May 10, 2011. Author: Healthwise Staff.
Medical Review: William H. Blahd, Jr., MD, FACEP - Emergency Medicine & Kenneth J. Koval, MD, MD - Orthopedic Surgery, Orthopedic Trauma
Contact Jaime Lebrón for a
free Health Insurance consultation
Jaime Lebrón, Senior Executive, Medicare Sales for Kaiser Permanente proudly serves the greater Cleveland senior community and Northern Ohio with 15 plus years of senior health insurance industry experience.
216-479-5735 - Office
Top of Page
Back to Expert Health Insurance Advice