Slovenian Nut Potica
Ingredients - Dough:
- 2 cakes of yeast
- ½ cup lukewarm milk
- 1 TBS white sugar
- 6 cups all purpose flour (may require up to 7 cups)
- ¾ cup white sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1cup slightly scalded milk
- 4 egg yolks beaten
- 2 whole eggs beaten
- ½ cup softened, unsalted butter
Ingredients - Filling:
- ½ pint sweet cream
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup honey
- 2 pounds finally ground walnuts
- 1 tsp. Grated lemon peel
- 1 tsp. Vanilla
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 egg whites - stiffly beaten
- 1 ¾ cups white sugar
Instructions For Dough:
- Crumble yeast into lukewarm milk and 1 TBS. Sugar.(This will "feed" the yeast and activate it)
- Stir and then set aside until it starts to rise and gets foamy.
- Sift flour, sugar and salt into a bowl, making a well in the center of the mixture.
- Add the scalded milk and mix.
- When you are sure the milk is cool,add beaten egg yolks, whole eggs, butter and yeast.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Knead for about 10 minutes or until the dough is no longer sticky.
- Add extra flour slowly as needed.
- Form into loose ball and place in greased bowl.
- Cover and put in warm place until it doubles in size. (about an hour or two)
Instructions For Filling:
- Scald sweet cream, butter, and honey together and pour over ground nuts.
- Mix in lemon peel, vanilla and salt.
- Gently fold in the eggs and sour cream.
- Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites.
- Add sugar and mix completely, but gently.
- Set aside.
Instructions For Completing:
- Punch down risen dough and divide into 4 equal parts.
- Flour a board and take one section of dough and roll to about ¼" thickness. (It will be about 9" x 22")
- Spread nut filling on top of dough, leaving 1/2 inch plain dough on each side.
- Roll up gently as you would a jelly roll.
- Place in 9 x 5 x 3" greased bread pan
- Repeat with other sections of dough.
- Prick dough on top to prevent bubbles.
- Cover with damp (not wet)cloth and allow to raise for 45 minutes.
- Brush tops with melted butter.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake for 40 to 60 minutes.
- Let stand in pans for 10 minutes.
- Cool completely on cooling racks.
Top of Page
Back to Easter Recipes
Back to Cleveland Slovenians