- 3 pounds Yams, peeled, cut into 2-inch cubes
- 3 each very ripe bananas, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 small vanilla bean, split and scraped
- 1/4 cup honey
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon Maker's Mark bourbon
- 1 tablespoon soft butter
- 2 quarts water
- 2 tsps. Salt
- Bring the water and 2 teaspoons salt to a boil, add the potatoes and cook until tender - about 15 to 20 minutes.
- While the potatoes are cooking, in a separate pot, combine the cream, honey, brown sugar, vanilla, bananas and orange juice.
- Bring to a boil and cook on high for 5 minutes.
- Remove vanilla bean and either purée with a mixing wand or mash well with a potato masher.
- When the potatoes are tender, drain well and add to the cream mixture.
- Cook on medium heat for 4 to 5 minutes and mash gently with a spoon leaving some chunks of potato. The mixture will thicken slightly as the potatoes absorb the cream.
- Stir in the bourbon and the soft butter.
- Can be held and reheated.
From our Expert Executive Chef, Jerry Cook.
Top of Page
Back to Potato and Side Dish Recipes
Back to Thanksgiving Recipes