with Cranberries and Apples
- 1 Acorn squash
- ¼ cup of butter or margarine
- ½ cup cranberries
- ¼ cup brown sugar, packed tightly
- ½ cup finely chopped apple
- 1 tsp. Cornstarch
- 2 tsp. Cold tap water.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (may also be done in a microwave)
- Wash but do not peel squash.
- Cut squash into 1/4 rings with a very sharp knife.
- Remove and discard seeds.
- Place in shallow dish & set aside.
- Melt butter.
- Add cranberries and brown sugar.
- Cook, stirring often until the cranberry skins have popped open.
- Add the apple
- Spoon mixture into each ring.
- Cook until tender, but not mushy.
- Drain and retain juice
- Dissolve cornstarch in cold water and rapidly stir into juices.
- Put mixture into microwave for approx. 5 minutes until it thickens.
- Pour thickened mixture over rings and serve.
Top of Page
Back to Vegetable Recipes
Back to Thanksgiving Recipes