- 5 unpeeled oranges
- 1 unpeeled grapefruit
- 3 dozen cloves
- ¼ pound of white sugar.
- 2 bottles of your favorite red wine
- 1 bottle of Port
- Thoroughly wash the fruit and bake in a 350-degree oven until somewhat brown in color, turning just once.
- Prepare 6 earthenware bowls by heating them and putting six cloves in each.
- Add the sugar and pour in the red wine but NOT the Port.
- Cover and leave in a warm place for 24 hours.
- Squeeze the fruit into the wine and strain.
- Add the Port and heat being careful not to boil.
- Serve warm or "smoking"
Top of Page
Back to Christmas Recipes