The first engagement ring of record was from Archduke Maximillian of Austria in 1477. He presented the ring, which of course was a diamond, to Lady Mary of Burgundy.
They average length of an engagement is between 6 and 7 months.
Just under ten thousand couples in the United States take out a marriage license each year and then never use them.
Age of Marriage
Statistics show that in 1970 the average age of a bride was not quite 21 years (20.8) with the grooms' average age being about 23 years old (23.2).
That was thirty years ago. In the year 2000 statistics show the average age for a bride to be 25 (25.1) and the groom is now nearly 27 (26.8).
Never Too Late
The oldest known bride was a woman by the name of Minnie Munro who, on her wedding day, May 31, 1991, was 102. She married a younger man, Dudley Reid, who was only 83.
Harry Stevens became the oldest known groom in 1984 when he married his 84-year-old wide, Thelma Lucas. Stevens was 103.
According to Folk Legend
You know you will be getting married soon if…….
- A chicken comes into your house and leaves straw behind for you.
- A spider falls from the ceiling on its web and springs up and down before landing.
- Cows moo during the night
You know your marriage will be happy if…….
You know your marriage will go badly if……
- You both step into the church with your right foot first.
- It snows on your wedding day.
- A spider (the same one that swung from the ceiling?????) is found on the bride's wedding dress, but only before the ceremony.
- You get married on your birthday or in Lent.. (Be extra careful if your birthday falls in Lent)
- Get married in a Church that has bats, especially if one flies over you during the ceremony.
- The groom sees the bride in her wedding dress before the ceremony.
Top of Page
Back to Sweetest Day